RE: DIY SF Bay Area Rate Survey

Subject: RE: DIY SF Bay Area Rate Survey
From: DaveC <peninsula -at- covad -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 10:55:54 -0800

Another resource to consider is salary.com. I haven't checked them
lately but they seemed to have pretty reliable information in the past.

Nice resource, but they have no Writer category.

I tried their service using Trainer, Sr. as the description (something I think many writers do double-duty as). The description of the job at Salary.com mentions a lot of writing, anyway.

Here's the resulting page:
<http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/layoutscripts/swzl_compresult.asp?zipcode=94303&metrocode=157&statecode=CA&state=California&metro=San+Jose&city=East+Palo+Alto&geo=East+Palo+Alto%2C+CA+94303&jobcode=IT10000137&jobtitle=Technical+Trainer%2C+Sr&search=&n>

Pay for this job ranges from $60.8K to $90.7K. Half of the people in this job category earn a salary in this range.

The site only addresses salaries, not contract wages. It seems to stick in my brain that there is a common practice to use the "decimal slide" technique to make up an equivalent hourly salary:

$60K = $60/hour. Considering all the self-insurance and other costs involved in self-employment, these, so the theory goes, work out to similar take-home pay.

Comments?

Dave

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com