Re: Journaling your work (was RE: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?)

Subject: Re: Journaling your work (was RE: So...ya wanna be noticed, huh?)
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 15:25:36 -0500

At 5:44 PM -0500 12/4/02, Rebecca Downey wrote:

Does anyone else journal their work? And if so, how.

I keep a combined project journal and issues list. [See example after my signature.] Sometimes---rarely---it's just a list of the tasks completed and hours worked. Usually it becomes a major part of my communication with my client or manager.

With the journal, I have a record of the things I did and the feedback from clients/managers/reviewers. When someone says 'Why isn't there a TOC?', I pull out the journal. More importantly, at the end of the project, I can skim through the journal and make note of things I should have done differently...or sooner...or not at all. It's a good way for a solo practitioner to do a project post mortem/lessons learned review, and comes in very handy for estimating future projects.

K@
Kat Nagel

Example:

An issue can be anything from a style decision to a software bug to the fact that the check is late. Each issue is written up as soon as I think of it, and looks like this.

Origination date / Issue# / Issue statement

It may include optional extra stuff.
Needed? (decision or resources)
Alternatives?
Recommendation?

As I work on, I'll add something every time I make a decision or discuss the issue with anyone.
Date/Action (what I did)
Date/Reviewed (reported to or discussed with client)
Date/Resolution

Resolved issues are moved to the end of the list, and I keep them as part of my project record. Unresolved issues stay up front, and are on the table for the next meeting with the client or manager.

ISSUES
=====
#6 [NEW]

#3 2002/11/4 Can't get screen captures because app crashes
halfway through loading.
*Need: new build that works
2002/11/6 Reviewed with N: Use specs and punt.
2002/11/7 Drew screens in Visio from specs; gave to dev. team
2002/11/8 Memo from VP: Who authorized purchase of Visio?

#1 2002/11/1 One space or two after period?
I'm using two spaces with current font. Will change to 1 if
project team selects a decent font for the template.
*Need: Font decision
2002/11/2 Reviewed with N: Hire consultant.
2002/11/5 Memo from VP: No budget for consultant
2002/11/9 Team mtg: Do chapters in Arial, Souvenir, and
Chapparal Display. Bring to next mtg.

======RESOLVED
#2 2002/11/2 FrameMaker or Notepad?
I'll use Frame. Other contributors can use whatever they
want. I'll pull everything together and send out PDFs
for review.
2002/11/3 Reviewed with VP: OK, whatever.

#4 2002/11/10 Moved index to front matter and dropped TOC
to save paper.
2002/11/11 Reviewed with VP: OK

#5 2002/11/12 Finished Draft 3 and delivered PDFs to the 22 people
on the review list. Due 2002/12/12.

OK, you get the drift <g>.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com