Re: Description of Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Description of Tech Writers
From: rbilbao -at- us -dot- amadeus -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 11:22:04 -0500

Funny thread, Kelly. For my part I think you really have to tailor your answer
to your audience. Most of the time mine goes something like:

Them: "What do you do?"
Me: "I'm a technical writer..."
Them: (blank stare) "What's that?!?"
Me: "Well, you know the software you use on your computer? When the programmers
make it, they send it to me. I study it and write the manual for it, so you can
use it."
Them: "You must be smart," or "Nobody reads those things," or my all-time
favorite "How boring!"

Except when your 15 year-old brother asks. Then my reply is, "You know those
little booklets that come with your Playstation games and tell you what button
kills the bad guy? I write stuff like that." And his reply? "Woah."

By the way, how DOES one break into THAT industry, anyway?

Happy Friday....

This email message and information contained in or attached to this message
may be privileged, confidential, and protected from disclosure and is intended
only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. If you are not the
intended recipient any retransmission, dissemination, printing or other use of,
or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information is strictly prohibited.
If you received this message in error, please immediately inform the sender by
reply e-mail and delete the message and any attachments. This footnote also
confirms that this email message has been swept by MIMEsweeper for the
presence of computer viruses. Thank you.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com