RE: Description of Tech Writers

Subject: RE: Description of Tech Writers
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 15:56:11 -0500

And I'm a writer in Ottawa (the one in Canada).

So, I'd be scrabbling sketchily with an elderly
fountain pen on curled, yellow legal-pad pages.
The penmanship is shaky, not because of the whiskey
I'm sipping, but because of the cold that the whiskey
doesn't quite keep at bay. The late-afternoon sun
comes through the frosty, western window, but I've
got the oil-lamp lit anyway. The warmth from the
lamp is likely just psychological, but I don't mind
foolin' myself if it works...

My fingerless gloves keep a little warmth in my hands
while still letting me manipulate the pen.

Every line or so, I pause and bring the pen inside
my coat, so the ink won't freeze.

If my foot wasn't propped up in a makeshift splint
(I'm recovering from a showshoeing accident), I'd
be outside splitting wood and the wife would have
dinner started in the big pot. As it is, she's gettin'
almost as handy as me with that splittin' wedge, but
with her doin' my chores, things are a little tight.

She has the shotgun with her, while I've got the
pistol on the table. That Black Jacques Shellac
is a good man when he's sober, but if he comes
through that door drunk again, he'll hafta wait
for spring to be buried. The Mounties don't get
this far more'n twice a winter, so I'm not worried
about what they'd say...

/kevin (waking up and returning to documenting an HSM Server)

*HSM - Hardware Security Module... crypto stuff

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com