RE: encouraging learning by experimentation?

Subject: RE: encouraging learning by experimentation?
From: Richard Lippincott <richard -dot- lippincott -at- ae -dot- ge -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:03:27 -0500

Mike Bradley said:

>I had to take the fairing off my bike. That's the streamlined bodywork on
>the front of the motorcycle. The fairing is in five parts, and each is
>attached with different-sized bolts. Luckily, as soon as I noticed the
>different sizes I started taking notes, so I was able to re-assemble the
>parts with only the usual fuss.

>What would a professional mechanic, who had probably completed some factory
>training, have done? Should the manual have told him to keep track of the
>bolts?

I think an experienced mechanic would probably think to check the size of
the bolts during disassembly, to see if they were all the same size.

That being said...I think the answer to your question about the manual is
"Yes, it should tell the mechanic to keep track." (The reason why the
experienced mechanic would think to check first is probably the result of
having learned the hard way, using a manual that didn't have the note.)

What I would do is at the beginning of the steps to remove the fairings,
insert a Note that advises the mechanic about the different sized bolts.
Then, in the name of overkill, add five sub-steps to remove the fairing
subsections, and in each sub-step list the length of the relevant bolt. That
way, if the mechanic doesn't remember to keep the bolts sorted (or an
assistant comes through, trips over a fairing, and sends all the bolts
flying) it's easier to sort out which bolts go with which fairing.

--Rick Lippincott
Lockheed Martin
Saugus, MA

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com