Favourite TW Book

Subject: Favourite TW Book
From: "Matthew Bin" <mattbin -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 19:48:29 +0000

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see anyone mention Judith Tarutz's "Technical Editing". I bought this book when I was still in university (doing an English lit MA, not a TW degree) when I started thinking about a career in TW. It's an extremely valuable guide for any kind of tech writer. It is practical and direct, and is a huge help in getting your reviewing work done. Maybe if it wasn't the first TW book I read I wouldn't like it so much, but it was and I do.

It's a pretty good companion to Hackos' book, which would be another of my first picks. The Hackos doc development project structure was exactly the same (with a doc slant, obviously) as the Oracle SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle), and in my first job with an Oracle consulting outfit I earned a lot of credit by showing the developers that my work was just as structured as theirs. We could both understand each other and it led to good communication and very efficient project management. (The capability maturity model though... ugh. Why does the book _start_ with the CMM?)

Oh, and one more: Robin Williams' Non-designer's series. Useful information and plenty of practical understanding of design.

Sorry to weigh in so late, but... you know... lurking...

M@

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com