RE: Terminology: NIC on board ?

Subject: RE: Terminology: NIC on board ?
From: "Grant, Christopher" <CGrant -at- glhec -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 13:34:31 -0600

Just my opinon here, but I think "onboard" is hokey and not as commonly used
as "integrated" which is more common and more accurate.

"Onboard" makes me think of getting on an airplane. I'm "onboard" but I
don't contribute anything essential to the airplane flying (hopefully.) But
in this case we're talking about something (the NIC or the RAID) that
contributes to the functionality of the device - so, IMHO, "integrated" is
more appropriate and accurate, and less ambiguous.

Of course, it's always interesting to do a www.googlefight.com on this
issue:

"onboard NIC" : 27,700 results
"integrated NIC" : 184,000 results

"onboard ethernet" : 88,100 results
"integrated ethernet" : 653,000 results

"onboard RAID" : 65,300 results
"integrated RAID" : 204,000 results

Just some not-so-scientific data to consider.

Chris Grant

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com