Re: Small victories

Subject: Re: Small victories
From: Fred Sampson <wfreds -at- cruzio -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 13:48:00 -0800

Congratulations, Rebecca, you have indeed achieved a small victory!

In a similar vein, I recently offered to edit the copious error and system messages delivered with a product for which I had completed the initial documentation. The messages are translated, so maintaining some consistency in terminology, voice, and structure is useful, and represents potential cost savings.

The product manager and team accepted my offer, and have expressed much gratitude and appreciation for the results. They (including several non-native English speakers) no longer have to worry about English spelling and grammar, so they can concentrate on what they do well (programming). They see the value that a tech writer can bring to their product. I'm hoping to encourage other development groups in the company to do the same.

Here's to small victories!
-Fred

At 04:13 PM 12/17/2002 -0500, you wrote:

Today I sent out some usability suggestions for a report our current project generates. Not only are they being taken seriously, but Development agrees that we should be doing usability reviews *before* they spend hours coding something that, while it meets the spec, is gobbledygook to someone looking at it. I've offered myself as a resource for this kind of thing in the future, so here's hoping!

Rebecca Stevenson
Technical Writer
Workscape, Inc.
> 508-861-3059