Pdf'ing pdf'd graphics

Subject: Pdf'ing pdf'd graphics
From: "Archer, Wendy" <Wendy -dot- Archer -at- sciex -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 13:32:48 -0500

Hello

I would appreciate any feed-back on this subject.

Goal: to use a pdf graphic format for a manual that is going on a CD,
however, some of our users will no doubt print the manual.

I use Illustrator 10 for line drawings and do a batch conversion of the .ai
to pdf.

Use Acrobat 5 and distiller, Windows 2000.

The pdf graphic is imported into FrameMaker 7 and then the FrameMaker doc is
pdf and burned on CD. So I'm pdf'ing a pdf'd graphic...

Some of the lines in the graphics have some jaggies on screen, particularly
a line pointing to a part of the graphic. I did a test CD but I'm would like
to tidy up the jaggies.

I used Acrobat 5 but select 4 compatibility. I wondered if this affects the
quality of the graphic.

I have tried different resolutions, tiffs and svg but the pdf's still look
the best on screen. Is it possible to create as good graphic for screen and
print with the pdf graphic format? If so, what resolution/settings have you
found works really well. Any other tips would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Happy New Year!

Wendy Archer

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com