Fw: PopUps or Rollovers in on-line help manual

Subject: Fw: PopUps or Rollovers in on-line help manual
From: "Drew De Windt" <darkwind -at- gte -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2002 08:11:41 -0800

Hello All!

I have been following the TECHWR-L Digest through my last few technical
writing contacts and have found extremely helpful information that has
helped me to a great degree! Thank you all!
I am starting work on a quick reference user manual for a new software
package and an on-line help guide and was wondering what the general thought
was to using rollovers or popups to give information on various entries and
if anyone knew of a good on-line source or manual on how best to implement
them. The job manager is extremely concerned with slow loading speeds and
large file size and I am looking at options on how to minimize both.
Again thanks to all and please contact me either on or off list as soon as
conveniently possible!

Drew De Windt
Technical Writer

Without better Technical Writing the human race is doomed because of
stupidity...
here are some actual label instructions on consumer goods...

* On a Sears hairdryer: "Do not use while sleeping."
* On a bag of Fritos: "You could be a winner! No purchase necessary. Details
inside."
* On a bar of Dial soap: "Directions: Use like regular soap."
* On some Swanson frozen dinners: "Serving suggestion: Defrost."
* On Tesco's Tiramisu dessert (printed on bottom): "Do not turn upside
down."
* On Marks & Spencer Bread Pudding: "Product will be hot after heating."
* On packaging for a Rowenta iron: "Do not iron clothes on body."
* On Boot's Children Cough Medicine:"Do not drive a car or operate machinery
after taking this medication."
* On Nytol Sleep Aid: "Warning: May cause drowsiness."
* On most brands of Christmas lights: "For indoor or outdoor use only."
* On a Japanese food processor: "Not to be used for the other use."
* On Sunsbury's peanuts: "Warning: contains nuts."
* On an American Airlines packet of nuts: "Instructions: Open packet, eat
nuts."
* On a child's superman costume: "Wearing of this garment does not enable
you to fly."
* On a Swedish chainsaw: "Do not attempt to stop chain with your hands or
genitals."

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com