Re: I/internet

Subject: Re: I/internet
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- editors-writers -dot- info>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:20:50 -0500

From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>

| <<I do not think that it has anything to do with whether using the
| Internet is commonplace. IMHO, you take the train (not the Train)
| because there are any number of trains. On the other hand, you use the
| Internet (not the internet) because there is only one of it. (Just as
| you cannot say "an internet".) Internet does not descrbe a category of
| things, it is a proper name of a unique entity.>>
|
| Agreed, it's something there is only one of, so that you can't choose
| among various internets, as you can choose among various trains. But by
| that figuring, wouldn't you have to capitalize "air," since you have to
| say "the air"? Then, again, there's the air in the city and the air in
| the country -- which are very different things.

It isn't using the article to signify a single entity that matters -- it's
that "Internet" is the *proper name* of the thing. I think also that the
"highway" metaphor can aid in understanding why it's capitalized. When you
name a particular highway, you cap it.

BONNIE GRANAT
Editing & Writing
http://www.editors-writers.info

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com