Re: How is editing organized in your company?

Subject: Re: How is editing organized in your company?
From: Tom Storer <tstorer_tw -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 05:37:38 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Bruce.

I don't have any personal knowledge of the tech
writing market as concerns the electro-mechanical
sector (in fact I'm not even sure what that is). I do
know the market is shrinking in the software industry.

I'd suggest checking out the website of the STC's
France chapter: www.stcfrance.org, or a French
equivalent, the Conseil des Rédacteurs Techniques:
http://www.conseil.org/crt. Don't know how much good
it will do you...

One thing you might do is investigate the
electro-mechanical industry in France to see how it's
doing. There must be newsgroups, websites, magazines,
no? Among French electro-mechanical companies, you'll
need to know which produce documentation directly in
English. If a company's major market is France or
francophone Africa, for example, they'll probably
write their documentation in French and then have it
translated by outside agencies for any
English-speaking customers.

Once you have an idea of companies liable to hire
English-language writers, and which of those are in
good health, you could start visiting their websites
to see if they have jobs on offer, or even sending
unsolicited CVs...

Be aware that French companies often want hand-written
letters accompanying CVs, because they tend to have
them examined by graphologists! Charlatanism, in my
opinion, but widespread here. :-(

Finally, salaries are lower here than the US, but the
quality of life is higher, in my humble opinion. Let
me know how you get on!

- Tom

--- Bruce Wolf <bwolf -at- scheidt-bachmann-usa -dot- com> wrote:
> Tom: I can't answer your question about real
> editing. We currently do it
> ourselves. However, I would like to ask if you can
> recommend ways for an
> English speaking person to research
> electro-mechanical tech writing jobs in
> France. My French language skills would likely
> return once I'm back in the
> environment, so I wonder what the possibilities of a
> person with American
> English skills and electro-mechanical tech writing
> experience "connecting"
> with a position in France?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bruce

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com