Life cycle docs - writer participation

Subject: Life cycle docs - writer participation
From: Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- pinnaclewest -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 12:17:24 -0700

<1. Vision and Scope document [...]

Here I have been involved in writing and/or editing these.
They are called "Concept Charters" here.

<2. Validation Plan [...]

We do not have a functional equivalent here.

<
<3. Functional Requirements Specification [...]

I have written these and will be more involved in writing these than anything else in my current position.

<4. System Development Specification [...]

We have Detailed Designs and I have occasionally edited them.
<
<5. Test Plan [...]

Occasional edits.

<6. Qualification Document [...

Whoops, I forgot to read about what that was. Sorry...
<
<7. User Documents [...]

Not usually created in this company, although I have written a few here (and of course, much in my career). There traditionally has not be a lot of turnover by users here, and most people have trained their replacements. Hence the need has not been felt for user documentation.

<8. Change Requests [...]

In the current department, handled in ClearQuest.

<9. When the system is no longer needed, a document
<should be permanently filed which explains why the
<system is no longer needed and what should be done
<with any of the left-over data.

We do not have any successful long term storage although some departments use eDocs, some use VSS, and some use ClearCase.

I have also written a lot of system admin stuff here and "As Builts" to describe the code. Because I am a lone writer, I fill in where ever needed. When process is new, a good writer who is familiar with the life cycle and with a good technical and business background can really help managers and techies by creating some of the life cycle docs for them. Requirements is one area that a good technical writing can really move into, and it may lead me to widening my experience as a Business Analyst type person.

Rosie
Rose A. Wilcox
CHQ, 14th Floor
Tranz1 QA/Documentation
602-250-2435
Rose -dot- Wilcox -at- PinnacleWest -dot- com

I always take the time for preparation.
Give me six hours to chop down a tree
and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe.
-- Abraham Lincoln --

Order RoboHelp X3 today and receive a $100 mail in rebate and a FREE
WebHelp Merge Module for merging multiple Help systems on any desktop
or server. Order online today at http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com