RE: Coping with legacy on-line help systems

Subject: RE: Coping with legacy on-line help systems
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 18:47:21 +1000

Sean Brierley wrote,

I don't understand.

If you create the help in AuthorIT, then what happens to the Doc-2-Help
legacy help system is that it goes away--you no longer use it.

I think Nadine meant: if she changes one module of the help to AuthorIt, and leaves the rest of the help system as written previously using Doc-2-Help, will she encounter problems? I took this to mean that there may be links between the help systems for the different modules, or a master ToC or index that incorporates all the modules, or some such.

I would suspect that if the output is the same (a .chm, for example) then it wouldn't matter what help authoring tool (HAT) produced those modules, but I have had no personal experience with this so I can't say what problems might arise. (But I'm sure there would be some.)

This sounds like a good question for the HATT list.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/