State of the field

Subject: State of the field
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 10:01:57 -0500

OK, latest indication that things are starting to turn.

I get home last night and check my personal emails to my home address. There
is a message that simply states "You have an interview at xxxx if you are
still interested." I responded with my work phone and asked her to call me
at my office.

This was an agency and company that I'd spoken with last Aug before taking
this gig. After the normal pleasantries during which I explained that I'd
been extended 3 more months and wasn't couldn't take it at this time, I
asked why it had taken so long.

She tells me that in the interim, they'd hired two different writers at very
much lower rates and one walked out while the other one, 2 months after
hire, had nothing finished to show.

Her take is that companies are starting to burn through the "I got Word, so
I be a teknical writer" and the "hey...I write code, why can't I write ABOUT
code" and are just starting to understand that if you want a writer, hire a
professional writer, even if the cost is higher.

John Posada
Senior Technical Writer
Barnes&Noble.com
jposada -at- book -dot- com
212-414-6656
icq: 178047452
aim: jposada1
"When you only have two minutes to do
something that takes three, wait until you have three"

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com