RE: Beaten by the mob

Subject: RE: Beaten by the mob
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 11:35:27 -0800 (PST)

Well, I find this whole thing a bitter-sweet event. Bitter because she did not find a diplomatic solution that would have had the same effect, and sweet because she stood up for herself. It sounds like she was being bullied, and the only thing bullies respond to is standing up for yourself and pushing back. Could she have stood up for herself in a different way? Of course. But who knows, maybe this was the first time she ever stood up for herself. Maybe she's been a doormat all of her life and is only now finding the self esteem to realize that she deserves better than to be others' punching bag. We don't know the whole story. Only what John has related (and I'm sure John doesn't know her whole story either).

I have a feeling that John's whole point was that he witnessed someone, perhaps for the first time, stand up for herself. Witnessing someone take that first step, no matter how well executed, was the cool part. The next step is to put the finese into it (as someone else pointed out). That takes practice and making some mistakes. May I suggest she read:

"How to Work with Just about Anyone: A 3-Step Solution for Getting Difficult People to Change"

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag