helping salesmen sell documentation

Subject: helping salesmen sell documentation
From: Becca Price <becca_price -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 08:20:35 -0800 (PST)

I work for a small web-application company. In the past, our
documentation has primarily been what I can best describe as GUI
guides: walkthroughs on how basically to use the software. Our
customers are finding this inadequate (to say the least), but
it's all our salesmen know how to sell. We got bit recently very
badly when the line in the proposal said "technical docs/user
guides" - our salesmen figured that simply meant a standard User
Guide; our client meant User Guide, Admin Guide, and full
technical documentation of how the innards of the software
works.

I've been tasked with coming up with a *simple* questionaire
that our salesmen can use when they come to the 'documentaiton'
part of the proposal, to pin down more exactly what our
customers expect. Can anyone help me? Does anyone have a similar
questionaire that salesmenu use to scope out documentation so
it's bugeted for properly and not just as an afterthougth?

Currently, I have:

Document Title:

What type of document is it: GUI Guide, Reference Manual, Admin
Guide, technical specs, etc? (do I need to put in definitions of
types of documents?)

Audience: Who will use this document?
Category of use: general users? Administrative users
(administrating the database behind the software, for xample)?
Category of employee: Mechanics, clerks, managers?

Intent: how will this document be used? gui guide? training of
new employees in business process (using the application in the
context of a larger process)?

what is the scope of the document? GUI guide? placing the
software within the context of the external business process?
using the software within that context?

many thanks,

Becca Price
bprice -at- logiclink -dot- com

=====
becca -at- di -dot- org (primary address)
What is courage now?
Is it just to go until we're done?
Men may call us heros when they can say we've won
But if we should fail, how then?
--"Fellowship Going South", by Leslie Fish

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com