Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using-- Distiller 5.05

Subject: Re: Cannot generate PDF bookmarks from Word 2002 using-- Distiller 5.05
From: dik -at- intermate -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 12:59:19 -0700

Thanks, Jean.

Yes, I tried using pdf-maker with just about every single "Office" option
deselected. All I left on was Convert Document Info and Embed tags in PDF
(this is necessary to get bookmarks, as far as I know). In the bookmarks
tab I chose 2 headings and 2 styles. I left out the TOC and x-ref; even in
my lovely Office 97 + Word 2000, I never got working x-refs (I looked at
the old files a little while ago and saw that the TOC links did, in fact,
work - just not the x-refs). Same results: Memory complaints and then
freezing.

Finally I tried using pdf-maker without asking for any bookmarks and with
only Convert Document Info chosen on the "Office" tab. This time there
were no memory complaints - it got to the "printing" phase within seconds
- and then froze. Kind of a purely academic experiment; if I didn't want
bookmarks, I would just print with the distiller printer!

And, oh, did I mention that I tried many different combinations of parts
of the file to try to find offending graphics and the like? After about 5
different samples I gave up in exhaustion.

I have just skimmed the Acrobat forum at Adobe user-to-user again. It
looks as if the combination of Office 2002 and Acrobat 5.05 creates all
kinds of nasty problems that didn't exist with Office 97 and Acrobat 4.05.
It is probably not a realistic option for me to get a hold of an "old"
setup, so I will most likely end up asking my customer if he can manage
without bookmarks, and if not, I'll go back to the really old days by
inserting all bookmarks manually on the very last file. I may make some
very last tests at home, but I'm not optimistic.

Thanks, everybody, for your support.

Dian.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com