Re: Deadlines

Subject: Re: Deadlines
From: "Gregory Sweet" <Gsweet -at- cdphp -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:04:51 -0500

I tried for two years to change the system, pleas to developers, project managers and SMEs; escalated the situation to my previous manager, the managers in app dev, the app dev directors and the EVP of IT; and have seen numerous edicts of "You will use the technical writers or else!" handed down. But it's no longer my problem. Tech writing's been re-orged out of existence. I've been sent to marcom to write copy for the corporate Web site. Though it's still in my job description to document new systems and software, I sincerely don't expect to see even one request to do so.

It's a great move for me professionally. I now have career path (I'd maxed out at tech writer II in IT.) am the godfather of tech in the new department and get to do far more writing than I ever did in IT, and all under people who understand how to edit. Plus I'm learning PR from the rest of the team.

I'll only miss doing multi-media stuff, at least untill I figure out how to get the new powers-that-be to see I should be doing multi-media stuff.

I'm happy about the move for me, but I'm bitter about spending the last two years trying to improve a situation and having all my work be for naught.

-Greg

neart - misneach - diongbháilteacht

>>> Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de> 01/13/03 08:47AM >>>
I wonder - have you ever tried to do something about the situation?...

If you did try to do something, I'd be interested in the responses you
got. If you didn't try, why not?

Regards
Jan Henning

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com