Re: Was Scope of Agreement or Letter of Intent-Now unemployed.

Subject: Re: Was Scope of Agreement or Letter of Intent-Now unemployed.
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 10:45:55 -0500

Andrew Plato wrote:

> Generally, if you show up to a meeting with a confrontational attitude, people
> will either ignore you or purposefully fight you - just to put you in your
> place.
>
> Legal wrangling is something that is an absolutely LAST resort. Something you
> do when all avenues of communication and negotiation have failed and the
> cost-benefit equation of legal action is clearly tilted toward the benefit
> side. You don't bring lawyers to the table unless you plan to fight. Most
> business people will take it as you want to fight if you bring any kind of
> legal wrangling into the picture.

Bringing the right lawyer or professional advisor to the table, is not
so much of a fight plan as a self protection plan. I agree that gong to
court should be a last resort, but letting the other side understand
that you are a reluctant warrior can rarely hurt a good faith
negotiation. It is only the bully who takes an attitude that someone
seeking professional assistance is only doing it to fight. In that case
you may as well commence early and stop screwing around. Remember, the
company probably has already received advice, why shouldn't you.

> That said, the grand, whopping majority of disputes are best handled outside of
> court.

Agreed

> Once you get to a court, you're playing a high-stakes game. A game where
> losing can be even worse than being ripped off. If you lose a case, you can be
> held responsible for the other side's legal fees. Then your $5000 invoice
> becomes a $15,000 debt.

In what states in the US is there such a rule? I am not aware of any
state East of the Mississippi that has such a rule. Most Western states
do not. I am curious.

--
Peter
- a chrono- logically experienced citizen

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com