Re: Speaking of resumes....

Subject: Re: Speaking of resumes....
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:14:47 -0500

At 3:01 AM -0800 1/18/03, David Castro wrote:

When you've had two titles at a job, and you're putting your title on your
resume, do you need to list both titles, or just the latter of the two? Or do
you think it's personal preference?

My first full-time employer still shows up on my resume occasionally as the source of my techie credentials as a chemist. I worked there for 17 years, and had six different job titles.

Originally, I only listed the last title. Prospective employers invariably reacted in one of two ways. The first group got bent out of shape when they checked references and found different the job titles. They considered it dishonest to 'hide' the fact that I started in a less responsible position. The second group saw one job title for 17 years with the same company, and asked why I didn't get promoted.

So...now I include the last four in my resume, in reverse chronological order, to indicate career progress:

19xx-19xx+17
Multinational Megacorp, Rochester NY.
Positions held: Title 6, Title 5, Title 4, Title 3

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com