Re: Question for medical/science writers? (hyphens)

Subject: Re: Question for medical/science writers? (hyphens)
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 10:11:41 -0500

I used to work in a composition house that did a number of medical and scientific journals for the University of Chicago Press (which is not the largest publisher of such journals but is certainly a highly respected publisher).

For some authors who were, in fact, good writers, the manuscripts were not heavily redacted. But for the majority of articles, the Chicago redactionists did major markup, including reordering sentences to improve the flow and readability. (This work was all done after the journal's editors had accepted the refereed paper and all content decisions had been worked out with the authors. The redaction was also approved by the authors before publication.)

The hyphenation rules followed, of course, were those in Chicago Manual of Style (duh!); and they were followed exactly. However the use of hyphens was reduced through skillful redaction.

HTH,

Dick

>Matthew Bin is <<... wondering about the use of hyphens in
>medical/scientific writing. I tend to overuse them but that's because they
>don't tend to need the overuse in my usual writing.>>

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com