Re: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on hi s resume)

Subject: Re: Assembly Language (was RE: Even the CEO of Monster lies on hi s resume)
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 15:52:07 -0500

When I joined DEC in the early 70s, writers were part of the development organization, and ALL members of development had to learn how to cold boot a PDP-11. You started by toggling in the boot address, then running the paper tape loader and I forgot the rest.

I also learned how to write in Macro11, the Assembler Language for the PDP-11. I don't remember anything about it now, except for a passing reference to reverse Polish notation, and the Assembler Programmers cheer:

Shift to the left!
Rotate right!
Push down!
Pop up!
Byte, byte, byte!

Another old fossil reliving the glory days,

John

At 10:38 PM 1/20/2003 -0500, Kevin McLauchlan wrote:

Can't everyone program PDP-8s and Intel 4004s in
assembly language? And, Oh God, the RUSH! when
we got to work with those blistering new Z80s...

But damn you, Brad Jensen for trumping us all with
tales of coding in the 1950s... ;-)

John Garison

Logophile, thaumaturgist, neologist, scribe

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com