Project surveys - any reason for them?

Subject: Project surveys - any reason for them?
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 14:49:28 -0500

Somebody here wants to conduct satisfaction surveys with our internal customers, either during the project lifecycle, or after as part of closure. As we all know, customers love to complete surveys... These would be one-pagers with a number of closed questions. The customer selects a number on a scale to respond. For example, a proposed question is "The <person> has a good understanding of the business strategy being targeted. 1 (not good) to 5 (very good)."

Our current corporate culture does not encourage communication with the customer (excuse the alliteration) until the project is ready for User Acceptance Testing.

I think a survey in this situation is inappropriate. We don't do that many projects, and I don't think a survey can collect the required information as readily as a face-to-face interview. People do tend to answer the question they've been asked, here...

I'm the TW, and I've been asked for my input. Any feedback? I've formulated my response as above, but I may have to contribute anyways, depending on what the management decides.

Karen Black in Toronto, will answer questions in return for a fee

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com