Re: Tree View Terminology

Subject: Re: Tree View Terminology
From: "Mary M Bartels" <bartelmm -at- appliedbiosystems -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:46:28 -0800

Deanna Korth wrote:

<The Microsoft Manual of Style for Technical Publications doesn't provide
any guidance. "Tree view" sounds like jargon to me.

Windows 2000 help defines the term "tree view" as follows:

"A hierarchical representation of the folders, files, disk drives, and
other
resources connected to a computer or network. For example, Windows Explorer
uses a tree view to display the resources that are attached to a computer
or
a network.">

I call it a navigation tree after I have defined/described it once. This
seems to work with my users. After you give a word or phrase currency, it
is no longer jargon, no?

Mary B.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com