slogans on a resume revisited

Subject: slogans on a resume revisited
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:53:53 -0800

After starting a thread on using a slogan on a resume, I decided to try it.

So far, of the dozen or so people I've shown the result to, I've heard no negative comments. In fact, everyone has thought the idea a useful way of grabbing attention.
In particular, one recruiter thought it an excellent idea, so long as the slogan summarized job skills and wasn't just empty hype.

Moreover, after one week, using a slogan as the title for the resume produced four times the number of hits on one job board than the same resume with a more mundane title, and nine times as many on another site.

Of course, it would be better if these reactions resulted in a job offer. However, so far, the experiment seems a success.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"There is no science without fancy, and no art without facts."
- Vladmir Nabokov, interview, 1966

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com