Re: Planning and Designing a Website

Subject: Re: Planning and Designing a Website
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 07:35:43 -0800 (PST)

--- jsokohl -at- mac -dot- com wrote:

> This is NOT something to be done in just a few hours of browsing!!!!

I agree that it takes more than a few hours to become an expert in web design. If
one only has a few hours, one can at best survey some resources and do the best one
can to come up with a task list and a set of objectives.

> The request by the _boss_ is stupid,

I would respectfully disagree with this characterization. The boss may be ignorant
of what is involved in web design and in how much the writer may already know about
it. Ignorance only becomes stupidity when one is confronted with the opportunity to
learn and doesn't take it. I see this as an opportunity for the writer both to
educate himself and to educate his boss as to what is involved. Not necessarily in
all the gory details but at least in the scope of the project. That may be all that
the boss is really looking for at this point. How big a bread basket is it?

Speaking as one who does web design, it's not rocket science. It is organization of
content, which TWs do all the time. In this case, it is organization of content in a
medium the writer hasn't worked in before. There is a first time for everything, and
there is a first time for everyone. We start with what we know, and we build on
that.

I would suggest that the writer not worry about font selection, which was mentioned
in the original post, because users can select their own fonts and override the
writer's choice. Focus instead on analyzing the information for logical break points
or categories and design the site around navigating from one chunk of information to
another and back and sideways and up and down.

If the writer has experience doing document design, that experience will serve the
writer well in designing documentation in a web space. Others have pointed out, very
well, both resources that will help and special considerations to be taken into
account. Still, this is a job the writer can do.

1. Don't sweat the small stuff.
2. It's ALL small stuff.

=====
Tom Murrell
mailto:trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com
http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html Last Updated 10/28/02
--First keep the peace within yourself, then you can also bring peace to others.
Thomas a Kempis (1380 - 1471), 1420--

http://mailplus.yahoo.com

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com