Re: comma question

Subject: Re: comma question
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 09:04:28 -0600

Hey Kimberly,

kimberly3g -at- hotmail -dot- com
Sent by: To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
bounce-techwr-l-117504 -at- lists -dot- cc:
raycomm.com Subject: comma question

01/27/03 08:27 AM
Please respond to kimberly3g

ID Number:

As Jeanne and Bonnie said, it depends largely on what style guide you're
following. Personally, I've always preferred having the comma before the
conjunction. I think it not only looks better, but clarifies things if you
have a compound item in the list. Something along these lines:

He asked her to go to the store, buy her macaroni and cheese, and cook her
dinner.

Mayhaps not the best example in the world, but it was a long night and
the best I could come up on short notice!

Sam

Kimberly wrote:
When listing items in a sentence, the rule is to separate the items with
commas. What is the rule on putting a comma before the conjunction
separating the last item in the list? For example, the following
sentence:

He asked her to go to the store, buy her groceries, and cook her dinner.

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com