Re: Freelancing - advice needed

Subject: Re: Freelancing - advice needed
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 11:02:57 -0500

Damien Braniff wrote:

... What have you found to be the best approach when going to companies cold:
phone? Contact development manager etc, ask about their documentation etc
flyer? The 'does your docs suck?' approach - they CAN be improved,,,
letter? Similar to phone but by letter stating services provided etc
other?

I'd recomend using a number of methods:
* Professional looking stationery and business cards, of course, for those all-important networking opportunities.
* A punchy flyer or brochure that you can leave behind or direct mail. (Or a PDF to e-mail)
* Phone calls to potential clients in which you make sure they understand you represent quality, caring (about their pressures and products) and cost (efficiency, willing to help them figure out how to work within a budget).

And I know you won't do what one misguided freelancer did by contacting the Director of Development at a company where I managed the documentation group, with a "Do your docs suck?" approach. The contact information was passed along to me in case I needed some freelance help, but the writer never, ever got a call. We rather thought our documentation was not too bad, thank you very much.

What we DID need from time to time was someone to help out during crunch times, and someone who could promise a quick turnaround, do conversions (Word to Frame, etc.), and be absolutely EASY to work with. I frequently had grunt work (reformatting, tidying up graphics, etc.) that needed to be done but that would have burdened our in-house writers who certainly had their hands full with content development. That's when I called the freelancers. THEN, if they had suggestions for improving the docs, I was entirely willing to hear them. I'd often test a freelancer out by giving them one of our less desirable jobs. If they proved professional, efficient, competent and helpful, they usually got better projects to work on.

Present your abilities in a way that solves your client's most painful problems, and you'll have plenty of work. Also, follow up on whatever contacts you make -- probably every 3 months is a good idea. I may not need you now, but if you keep reminding me (in a quiet, professional way) that you're around, you'll be top of mind when a problem comes up that I need a freelancer to solve.

Best of luck,
--Beth

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication

--
Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, Ontario
416.491.5050 x3133
beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com