RE: Butt-or-ego insulation query

Subject: RE: Butt-or-ego insulation query
From: Sean Hower <hokumhome -at- freehomepage -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 10:43:19 -0800 (PST)

----------------------------
Peter Swisher wrote:
You cannot imagine every scenario. For example, who could imagine this
scenario? ....
----------------------------

That NEVER happens!!! ;-) Microsoft handles its style with perfection........................... no really. Honest. Okay, stop laughing now! :-)

But seriously, your scenario points out one important fact, our users are more than likely going to our manuals because they have to, not because they want to. They would rather be somewhere else other than work doing something else other than work (heck, so would I at times!!!). When you're doing something because you have to, you'll probably cut corners whenever you can just to get it done. If that means skimming over instructions, then so be it. So, we, as the technical writers, should take that into account whenever we can.

The question is, did your user exercise some common sense and follow your instructions. If not, the mistake was his and you can ignore his ranting because he's just mad at himself. If so, then the mistake was yours, you've gotten some useful user feedback, and you can make any necessary changes on your next run. :-) (Not pointing fingers, just pointing out the fact. Mistakes happen. We're only human.)

Either way, it's a learning experience for someone! :-)

"And in the morning, I'm makin waffles." ~ Donkey
Sean Hower - tech writer
http://hokum.freehomepage.com

Create your own web site for FREE at http://www.freehomepage.com

Select your own custom email address for FREE! Get you -at- yourchoice -dot- com w/No Ads, 6MB, POP & more! http://www.everyone.net/selectmail?campaign=tag