Re: Blog?

Subject: Re: Blog?
From: Christopher Ervin <chris -dot- ervin -at- insightbb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:23:23 -0500

Just recently when I taught freshman comp., I assigned several online readings
about blogging. The way I understand it, blogging is much more than keeping a
journal online for the world to read. Blogging is a phenomenon that combines old

fashioned personal journaling and the interactive, collaborative nature of
online communities. Some blogs have a single author, but often bloggers invite
readers to contribute. And a whole culture of blogging has emerged, where
bloggers sometimes cooperate (e.g., blogging web rings and linked blogs) and
sometimes compete for readers' attention.

My course web page is still up if you'd like a few resources (magazine articles
and NPR clips) on blogging. The url is

http://www.louisville.edu/~jcervi01/english101.html

Follow the "Homework Schedule" link and you'll find several links to blogging
resources.

CE

DaveC wrote:

> Please help me with a basic definition.
>
> Blog? I understand it's an abbreviation for web log, but,
> specifically, what is one? Is it like a journal, with daily (at
> least) entries?
>
> Due, probably, to the popularity of the term and its ability to trip
> off the tongue, I think it's being misused. It seems to me, with my
> rudimentary understanding of the term, it's being stretched to cover
> much more than journals. Unless, of course, I'm misunderstanding it...
>
> Blog?
>
> Dave
> --
> Dave Carpenter