RE: STC Conference: Manual Evaluations--valuable?

Subject: RE: STC Conference: Manual Evaluations--valuable?
From: Samuel -dot- Beard -at- tdcj -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 13:20:40 -0600

Tammy VanBoening
<Tammy -dot- VanBoening -at- netRegulus -dot- To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
com> cc:
Sent by: Subject: RE: STC Conference: Manual Evaluations--valuable?
bounce-techwr-l-117504 -at- lists -dot-
raycomm.com

01/31/03 12:41 PM
Please respond to Tammy
VanBoening

ID Number:

Hey Tammy,

<rant>

I will also join in on this "rant". In a local STC competition a few years
ago, the "winner" of one of the manual evaluation categories won because of
the layout and presentation - it "looked very readable" to one judge
(actual
comment) and "the fonts and oh so much more" were so appealing to the eye,
but, the mistake was made of publishing some part of this winning guide for
all to see. When you read the absolute "GAR-BAHGE" that was presented so
nicely, any halfway decent COPY editor alone would have had a field day up
front - and four of us (local writers) who commented among ourselves on it
all said that in no way could we figure out what on earth this person was
trying to say.

Actual verbiage in this "winning" guide:

- - Frequently asked questions that people occassionally ask.

- - This information will be excluded from inclusion on this report.

Either this person was TOTALLY clueless or they were SO SMART they just
wanted to prove a point about the competitions and/or judges. Without
knowing more about the individual, it's hard to say which one. It's
POSSIBLE, mayhaps not LIKELY, that the writer was trying to show just what
can be "gotten away with" in the competition in regards to actual content
versus presentation. I'd be interested to know if that's the case or if the
person really WAS that clueless!

Sam

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com