RE: inserting a PDF file into Word

Subject: RE: inserting a PDF file into Word
From: Kim Roper <kim -dot- roper -at- pixelink -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 15:48:27 -0500

Ami Wright asked about extracting PDF diagrams for insertion into Word.
I've figured out two ways to do this. If you have Acrobat and a decent
graphics package, these procedures are easy, although not obvious.

Approach A (Preferable--I've found that this is a particularly good method
for capturing line drawings generated by vector-based packages, and I use it
for isolating and editing mechanical drawings for our manuals):

1. In Acrobat, create a single page document containing the desired graphic.
(Use Document --> Extract Pages or Document --> Delete Pages.)
2. Export the page as EPS (File --> Export --> Postscript or EPS)
3. Using your graphics package, open or import the EPS file. If the graphic
is a line drawing, try to use a vector-based graphics package. Otherwise,
import the graphic with a resolution of at least 300 dpi.
4. Edit and export the graphic as required.

Approach B (More robust, but with a high memory demand):
1. In Acrobat, use the Graphics selection tool to define the region you want
to capture.
2. With the region selected, increase the magnification of the view by using
CTRL-+ (Ami, this is what you needed to do to get rid of the jaggies with
your method). Make it BIG.
3. CTRL-C. If the machine complains that you don't have enough memary,
decrease the magnification using CTRL--.
4. Repeat Step 3 until the machine lets you get away with capturing the
image :>
5. Paste into your favourite graphics package, edit and export. It will be
a raster graphic.

Cheers ... Kim
kim.roper at vitana.com
http://www.pixelink.com/

If you can't speak knowledgeably, at least be colourful.

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com