RE: OT: The Columbia

Subject: RE: OT: The Columbia
From: "David Downing" <DavidDowning -at- users -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 09:20:15 -0500

I understand there was an internal memo stating that some damage had
been done to the heat shield during takeoff, and that said damage could
cause problem. Still, if the crew of the Columbia had been told, what
could they have done? I understand that there's no other alternate
procedure for re-entry.