Teaching a writing class for co-workers

Subject: Teaching a writing class for co-workers
From: "Ashley Gottfried" <ashley -dot- gottfried -at- Wise -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 15:57:33 -0500

Hello all,

My manager recently asked me to teach a one-hour class on writing. My potential students are product support and consultants who compose articles on our software and its related technology. The Curriculum Developer and I then edit these articles before they are published in a monthly newsletter distributed to our users.

The intent of this class is to improve the quality of the articles. However, I'm not quite sure how to approach this class. I know that I cannot teach the fundamentals of writing in just an hour. I do, however, want to make the best use of the time I do have to help students with writing. So far, I'm thinking of covering the following topics:
* Review the article writing process (since many of the students have never written one of these articles but will in upcoming months).
* Demonstrate how to use the correct template and styles. (I spend a good amount of time each month applying styles to these articles.)
* Give tips on organizing information.
* Provide guidelines on writing clear procedures.

I'm wondering if anyone on the list has put together a similar class and had any advice to offer. Do you have any short writing exercises I could use in class that you'd be willing to share? Are there topics that I should include that I've missed?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Ashley Gottfried
Curriculum Technical Writer
Wise Solutions, Inc.