Re: credit check for interviews

Subject: Re: credit check for interviews
From: "Kat Nagel, MasterWork Consulting" <mlists -at- masterworkconsulting -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 17:12:58 -0500

Sean Hower:

Last Friday, NPR ran a story about how companies run credit checks on potential employees. I was surprised, I don't think this has happened to me....has this happened to anyone else? Under what conditions did this occur?

The last few companies I've interviewed with have asked for signed releases for credit checks as well as the drug test results. When I asked why, I was told that bad credit is a risk factor for both embezzlement and industrial espionage.

Most of these checks are apparently done by third party security verification companies and no-one at the hiring company ever sees the actual results. The hiring company gives the verification company a list of exclusion criteria. The verification company gives them a Yes or No report, not the actual data. This is good from a personal privacy standpoint, but would make it difficult to recover from an error due to sloppy verification work.

Legally, at least in New York State, if you are refused credit because of a bad credit report, you must be told the name of the credit reporting company (there are several) and be given a free copy of your credit report from that company. I'm not sure if the same requirement applies if the credit report loses you a job offer.

--
Kat Nagel
Owner, MasterWork Consulting Services

single-source layouts, and more!