RE: credit check for interviews

Subject: RE: credit check for interviews
From: "Sella Rush" <srush -at- MusicNet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2003 18:38:49 -0800

In my last job search (Dec/Jan 2002) that included four interviews, three of the companies had me fill out background check paperwork at the interview. At least 2 of these included a credit check approval form. I was surprised but figured this was a new SOP since the last time I looked for a job 5 years before.

At the job I took, they explained that they hired an outside firm to do the check and none of the details were known to anyone in the firm. Presumably it was a matter of thumbs up/down, or possibly a rating. Since I got the job offer, presumably my less than A+ credit rating was not a big issue. On the other hand, I have very little debt.

At my previous employer, a military contractor, I had to go through a security interview (not a clearance) in which it was explained to me that these days (6 years ago) far less emphasis is placed on what subversive groups you belong to than what your financial standing is. Susceptibility to blackmail and/or bribery is what it's all about. Private industry has the same worries.

Sella Rush
Tech Writer III
MusicNet
(206) 269-6115 Direct