RE: OT: The Columbia

Subject: RE: OT: The Columbia
From: John Posada <JPosada -at- book -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2003 09:23:14 -0500

I've been staying out because I like discussing something with some fact
behind it rather than only pure conjecture However...

>I'm not surprised there was a possible failure in one of the wheel
housings,
>or it's cover. Considering these shuttles are getting old, and the launches
>have become rather frequent. Also, there is a tendency - when you
repeatedly
>expose a plane, or shuttle, to extreme stress - that the chances of a
>catastrophic failure will increase. There will always be stress-fractures

Each shuttle gets over 1 million man-hours of between flight maintenance and
as far as the stress...there are electrical and x-ray tests that you can
perform on metal to test for fatigue, such as what you do for testing
structural material in nuclear reactors that will detect any sign of stress.

John Posada

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com