Re: Field vs. text box?

Subject: Re: Field vs. text box?
From: Jean Hollis Weber <jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 16:43:36 +1000

Dave Carpenter wrote,

The term "Field" -- as relates to a place on a web page where users
are asked to fill in name, address, etc. -- when writing for *very*
basic (inexperienced) Internet users, would "text box" be more
appropriate?

I use the term "box," as in "Fill in the boxes on the form."
"Text box" seems overly pedantic and seems to me to add nothing in the way of understanding, unless there's some distinction that needs to be made between the text boxes and some other boxes. A "checkbox," for example, is a different type of box, but we usually refer to it in some other way. A "list box"? -- I just say "list," again for simplicity.

Definitely not "field," for reasons others have mentioned.

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com
The Technical Editors' Eyrie http://www.jeanweber.com/