Re: credit check for interviews

Subject: Re: credit check for interviews
From: Peter <pnewman1 -at- optonline -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 13:41:01 -0500

JB Foster wrote:

According to a company that sells the service (Background Checks
International, LLC.)

But my take on this is: if you're going to consider a candidate for a 'more
senior' position, and that person has a few hundred Thousand in unsecured
dept - then he might be worth passing over - for numerous reasons (will he
focus at work, will he get lots of telephone interruptions, will he make
unethical decisions to max his bonus, etc.).

You have pointed out several valid reasons for credit checks. Consider though that unsecured debt is, by itself, not that terrible. What about the new doctor who has over $300,000 in unsecured debt. Or consider the possible assets beyond the unsecured debt. I have known some folks who can walk into a bank and get unsecured loans running well into seven and eight figures. Yet they are very hard working alert and articulate individuals, who want to work. While I appreciate and agree with the need for credit checks, there is a clear danger of some HR rectalhead type, looking at a checklist and just chucking the resume of an otherwise highly qualified individual.

single-source layouts, and more!
Order online today at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com

RE: credit check for interviews: From: JB Foster