APIs in multiple languages, reusing content for API documentation

Subject: APIs in multiple languages, reusing content for API documentation
From: "Carla Lotito" <clotito -at- platform -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2003 15:15:24 -0500

Hi,

I hope some of you have encountered this problem before and would be interested to know how you solved it.

This is the problem:

Today, I use Doxygen to embed the API documentation in the source code for C++.

Now, I have C, Java, and other languages coming.

Since a lot of the embedded API documentation is similar in concepts and descriptions at about 90%, I'm looking for a way to bring the
code comments external to Doxygen to be able to write once, edit once, and reuse in all API languages.

Doxygen has a way of making code comments external, but the drawback is that you must list the exact function name,
syntax, etc in the external file - which defeats the purpose of using an external file if you always have to update the syntax with what is actually in the code.

Another way to do this with doxygen is by using separate html files for each block of text - which could make it unmanageable to deal with hundreds of html files.

- Has anyone done this? Write once, reuse everywhere?
- What tools are you using?
- Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,

Carla Lotito