Re: Technical Writing Tests

Subject: Re: Technical Writing Tests
From: Beth Agnew <Beth -dot- Agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:38:31 -0500

This in itself could be a very useful indicator of how adept a candidate is with technology. How do they approach trying to get something useful out of an unfamiliar tool? Are they able to figure out enough of the technology to at least make a stab at using it? These days, there are very few applications that are so un-intuitive and user-unfriendly that a competent technical writer cannot make sense of them.

If a techwriter needs training on something before being able to work with it, I'd be very loath to hire that person.
--Beth

Rock, Megan wrote:

Our company doesn't use Word, so whether or not a candidate is proficient with it is irrelevant. The authoring tools we do use are ones that are not yet commonplace in documentation departments, so it's not likely that a candidate would have enough experience with them to create much of anything without a few hours of training on the tools first.

Beth Agnew
Professor, Technical Communication
Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology
Toronto, Ontario
416.491.5050 x3133
beth -dot- agnew -at- senecac -dot- on -dot- ca

single-source layouts, and more!

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com