RE: More on Tech Writing Tests

Subject: RE: More on Tech Writing Tests
From: "Giordano, Connie" <Connie -dot- Giordano -at- FMR -dot- COM>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:08:39 -0500

Use of test can be helpful in predicting success, no more or less so than
skilled interviewing, reviewing a portfolio, and doing the dreaded
background checks. Rely on one to make decisions and your doomed to failure
at some point. As for me, whenever possible I use all four. Lack of
writing tests has cost me dearly in the past, but I rarely look at just the
content of the test. And I never make them write about lunch preparations,
because it has nothing to do with what a job here would entail. However, if
you, like me, you need to be able to figure functionality out on your own,
design web pages, build help systems, write press releases, lay out user
guides and half a dozen other things , your test may need to incorporate
some generic approach.

The results the one poster described were absolutely dead-on... For that
company. Not for a position that John would want (I guess the Lord of
writing team is part of the culture.

Know what kind of writer/information designer/multi-media guru you want, and
tailor a test to identify that (if that means having a SME standing over the
shoulder, then so be it). But take a good look at the portfolio, and do
some in-depth interviewing. Do them all.. because there are people who can
ace an interview, steal a portfolio, and or cheat on a test, and because
there are plenty more who won't, but may not be a good fit for your
environment.

MTC

Connie P. Giordano
Senior Technical Writer
Advisor Technology Services
A Fidelity Investments Company
704-330-2069 (w)
704-330-2350 (f)
704-957-8450 (c)

"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do." - Henry Ford