Re: TOOLS: narrow keyboard

Subject: Re: TOOLS: narrow keyboard
From: Paul Goble <pg -at- pgcommunication -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 16:46:41 -0700

Beth wrote:

> It's not quiet, but has good feel. Because it's narrow, I don't have to
> reach far to use my mouse. That's the whole purpose of it, in my opinion --
> ergonomics. It fits nicely beside a mouse pad on a typical under-desk
> keyboard tray.

I share your enthusiasm for narrow keyboards.

My RSI problems were instantly reduced with a narrow keyboard. At work,
our ergonomics consultant says that he's becoming convinced that switching
to a narrow keyboard is the single most important thing that tech writers
can do to avoid RSI problems.

I use an old IBM M4-1 keyboard, which has the page up/down keys conveniently
located along the right edge of the keyboard. Several co-workers are using
the Goldtouch keyboard (, which is adjustable and not too
expensive. An alternative, minimalist keyboard for UNIX types is the Happy
Hacking keyboard (

I think my next keyboard will be a backlit Zippy keyboard
(, if I can
find anyone who sells them.

single-source layouts, and more!
Order online today at