RE: System Specs

Subject: RE: System Specs
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 12:51:26 -0500

Lisa asked:

I have been given the task of writing a high-level System Spec for our
company. This will be a new journey for me, as I've never written a spec
before, but I'm actually looking forward to the experience (sort of).

In my understanding, system specifications relate more to the technology (platforms, servers, databases, hardware, operating systems, interfaces) of a software application than Software Requirements Specifications (SRS), which are related to Use Cases, which evolve into business, user, functional and technical specifications/requirements for software development, which in turn all make up the SRS.

A system spec is fairly static, more like a list. One of mine also includes these headings: Servers, Operating Systems, Databases, Firewalls & Routers, Access & Control, Monitoring, Auditing & Reporting, Data & Site Recovery.

Karen Black in Toronto, wishes she was more technical sometimes

Is fearr socrú dá dhonacht ná dlí dá fheabhas.
It's better to solve the problem than to improve the law.

single-source layouts, and more!
Order online today at

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com