Re: Need real-world information about Framemaker

Subject: Re: Need real-world information about Framemaker
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 20:53:08 -0700

Two questions:

1) Why are you trying to sell your management on Frame? If you're a new
user and don't already have some compelling reasons of your own, what is
your motivation in pitching for this change?

2) Have you checked on the requirements of your audience? You said you're
doing proposals. In my current job I'm focused entirely on proposals, and
probably about 90% of the requests I get for proposals REQUIRE the
response to be in Word. Check around with whoever has been doing proposals
at your company. If that is the case at your company as well, Frame is the
absolute wrong choice.

I recommend only lobbying for specific tools only when your current tools
are acting as an impediment to getting your job done, and/or when you can
prove that the new tool will increase productivity and/or cut costs. I
agree that Quark is probably not the best all around tool for the diverse
tasks you're facing, but I'm not convinced Frame is either, based on what
you've told us about your responsibilities and your familiarity with the
software.

Frame is expensive. Make sure it's the right choice before you spend your
company's money. FYI, I like Frame plenty. But it's worthless for my
current gig.

Good luck!

Keith Cronin

Can you beer me now? Good.