RE: RE: The repeated/quoted text in your message

Subject: RE: RE: The repeated/quoted text in your message
From: "Lakritz, Andrew M." <Andrew -dot- Lakritz -at- Ruesch -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 08:47:00 -0500

Shannon--

We don't use Framemaker here in my shop largely because most of our
documentation is short, and the long stuff we do is never printed.
Framemaker has excellent support for printed output and in my opinion
is perhaps the tool of choice for shops that require printed output of
lengthy documents. But everyone in my department writes documents of one
sort or
another: software requirements, use cases, configuration and installation
documents,
and it would be pointless to put these technical support, network admin, and
software developer types on Framemaker, let alone the expense.

My best advice, however, is not for you to seek advice from the
technical writing community but rather to create a list of must haves
based on the application you wish to apply the tool to. Think about your
audience,
your writers, and the requirements of the writing tasks. Once you have
that list and a clear understanding of the writing context,
order examination copies of Framemaker and any other tool
you want to compare it to, and then do a test. You can learn a lot
from the help community about how a tool is used in various
circumstances, but you'll only learn what's best for your shop by
testing and proving the tool in your own environment.

Andrew Lakritz
Senior Technical Writer
Ruesch International
700 Eleventh Street, NW, Suite 400