Re: Educational areas to pursue

Subject: Re: Educational areas to pursue
From: Andrew Plato <gilliankitty -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 10:37:39 -0800 (PST)

"Beth Agnew" wrote...

> Make sure the educational routes you pursue enhance YOUR skills and
> career, not just satisfy the employer.

Huh? That doesn't make any sense. The reason you improve your skills is to
satisfy employers and become more employable. If you pursue only those skills
you deem as valuable, then you will not, necessarily be more employable.

Furthermore, the market has clearly shown that writing skills are of less value
to employers than technical skills. Hence, if you want to keep or progress in
your career, the clear path is one of increased technology skills.

Also, strong technology skills broaden your employment opportunities. If
writing work dries up, you can do other work, like system admin or database
development. I stopped doing pure tech writing work years ago because there was
no money in it. If all I had was tech writing skills, I would have been
unemployed and bitter. But since I spent years learning system administration,
networking, and security, I can do that work and have flourished.

I think if an employer said to you "you need more education" its a
not-so-subtle way of saying "shape up or ship out." They obviously want you to
become more skilled.

Andrew Plato

http://taxes.yahoo.com/

single-source layouts, and more!