Re: And more on open source...

Subject: Re: And more on open source...
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 10:07:38 -0800

Lyn Worthen wrote:

The companies I
worked for (an insurance organization, a power company, a mortgage lender)
were all very pleased with the OS app they were using, but in each case were
very nervous about using it because there were only one or two individuals
in the organization who really knew the "ins & outs" of the application.

I agree that this situation is very common. The reason, I suspect, is that, until recently, open source technologies were usually introduced into companies by enthusiasts. These enthusiasts campaigned for the shift, and, because they were the technology experts, nobody else knew exactly what the company was getting into.

This sort of policy for adaptation isn't very healthy, which may be why IBM is having so much success with companies signing on to its Linux programs - companies are tempted by open source, but they want the assurance of expert support.

http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Granite years, all the lights and nights and bitter tears,
Granite years, when you don't care where you're going,
Say that I was foolish, say that I was blind,
Never say that I got left behind."
- OysterBand, "Granite Years"

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l2.

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com