Re: And more on open source...

Subject: Re: And more on open source...
From: Paul DuBois <paul -at- kitebird -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 12:18:19 -0600

On Mon, Feb 24, 2003 at 01:22:05AM -0800, Andrew Plato wrote:
> If larger organizations are going to adopt OS technologies, there needs to be
> something that bridges the gap between the "individualism" of OS and the "mass
> market" thinking of corporations.
> Documentation, training, and standardization are the kinds of things that can
> do that. That is an opportunity itself. Something for everybody to consider.
> Andrew Plato

I don't share Andrew's generally negative and pessimistic view of Open
Source (though I suspect Andrew would characterize his view as "realistic"
rather than as I have). However, I do agree with his comment about
opportunities in his final paragraph. One thing that can help bridge
the gap is the availability of high-quality documentation. And companies
don't mind paying for this -- think commercial publishing if you're looking
for opportunity.

In a sort of weird way, it's almost better for documentation *not* to be
free. It seems companies are suspicious of stuff they don't pay for,
whether that be the software itself, or any of the various types of
supporting materials such as documentation.

LAST CHANCE for this steal of a deal! Purchase RoboHelp X3 by February 28
and receive $100 mail-in rebate and FREE WebHelp Merge Module ($339 value)!
RoboHelp, the Industry Standard in Help Authoring, has won over 55 industry
awards. For more information please visit:

"RoboHelp X3 is simply remarkable." - George Bell, Techno-Vision Systems

archive -at- raycomm -dot- com

And more on open source...: From: Andrew Plato